Thursday, April 13, 2006

Zombie town

Right now I am a total zombie, so this entry probably won't be witty, and def won't include overly-detailed descriptions of food. My fuzziness at the moment might have something to do with the fact that I drank an entire bottle of wine last night and ate a steak the size of my head, then went to bed at 5:30 and got up at 11:30, and have done something along those lines for the last three nights in a row. Doble oof.

Yesterday night was interesting. We -- the British girls, these 2 guys from our hostel named Marco and Tony, and I -- went to a restaurant called Siga La Vaca ("Follow the Cow?"), where you pay $32 pesos (about US $11) for all-you-can-eat meat, plus a bottle of wine PER PERSON, plus a dessert each. CRAZY town! By the end of it, we were all tipsy, full of cow, and ready to hit the town. Unfortunately, the town was not ready to be hit.

We wandered down the pier to try to look for a fun bar, but nothing seemed to be going on. No fun to be had anywhere. We sat down at a random bar on the water, drank some more -- obvio -- then stumbled onwards into the night. There was a big, lit up, partially-outdoor club on the horizon, so we made our way over, slowly, since at this point at least 2 of us had taken off our shoes and were mincing along the ground in bare feet.

The club was about a quarter full, and was emptying quickly, with people striding out of the door non-stop, yet we were all convinced that we NEEDED to go in. It just needed to happen. However, the $30 peso entrance fee was sort of a turn-off, so I conceived of the brilliant idea of sneaking in. I made several valant attempts, all of which were quickly thwarted by the same bouncer. No matter which entrance I tried, the same guy would pop out of nowhere and interfere with my plans. He looked quite un-amused every time that he discovered me non-chalantly sneaking under a guard-rope or sneakily climbing a wall, and patiently walked me out each time. Dude, I tried my best. In the end, we admitted defeat and went back to the hostel, where I drank a LOT of water.

This morning -- and by morning, I mean 1 pm -- we all felt like crappola, so we walked down towards the Plaza and had lunch at a cafĂ©. The waiter was a wacky old guy who messed up everyone´s order and had a good laugh about it. He was fun.

Afterwards I took the subte (metro) to a shopping mall and bought a tulip skirt. I was disappointed to note, by the way, that the metro in Buenos is VERY shoddy. The cars are all different -- some are brightly lit with ugly upholstered benches, while others have dim lighting and weird little lamps everywhere. The metro itself was dirty, with lots of bits of paper and trash strewn about, most of the escalators were broken, and the signage was confusing. Bluh! What a disappointment. But, it got me where I needed to go, so it´s all good.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous6:09 PM

    Drunk and disorderly in BA! Have you no fear of ending up in a foreign jail?

    ReplyDelete