Saturday, July 22, 2006

Cha Cha Cha



I met up with the ladies (and later some gentlemen) last night for dinner at Cha Cha Cha in the Haight. I got there a bit early and stood outside to wait for the others and watched the freaks go by. The Haight is funny because there is a unique mix of the genuinely crazy/drug addled, and the bored rich who have carefully and painstakingly made themselves look crazy. I watched a lot of cultivated freaks go by, including a skinny white guy with greasy hair who asked me, "Cash for my trash?" I don't even know what that means, and no. No cash for your trash.

When my friends showed up at 7:45, we put our names on the list for dinner, and were told that it would be an hour and a half wait for a table. We did the only logical thing, which was to take our empty stomachs to the bar and order a large pitcher of sangria. To me, by the way, the best part of sangria is plucking out the fruit and eating it, because each little orange slice or grape is absolutely saturated with alcohol. Alcoholic fruit, mmmm.

We all started to get dizzy after about half an hour of drinking and not eating, so we munched on some chips and salsa and regained our bearings a little, then continued our Sangria drinking. Finally, at 9:30, just as we finished our pitcher of Sangria, we were seated. We promptly ordered a feast of dinner tapas: pork quesadilla, chicken quesadilla, rice and beans, warm spinach salad with bacon and mushrooms (heaven on a June day), jerk chicken, Cajun shrimp and a bottle of Sauvignon blanc. Cool wine and spicy food.

Afterwards, we headed to a bar and drank some more, but I realized before midnight that I should probably stop sucking down the booze and go home and sleep. That ended up being a good option. I'm at work right now down the Peninsula, where it is stunningly hot and sunny, and I am playing on my brand new computer. It is fabulous. In fact, this whole post was just an excuse to use my computer and post my pictures from last night. Ha!

No comments:

Post a Comment