Saturday, October 21, 2006

A very 80's Halloweeeeeen

I love Halloween. Always have, probably always will. Part of it has to do with the fact that my birthday is 4 days before Halloween, so I have always associated Halloween with presents, candy, dressing up, and pumpkins, some of my favorite things in all of life. Who doesn't love pumpkins?

So, for all of you out there who also love Halloween, and who were born in the early 80's, I have a couple of treats for you.

1. The lyrics to my favorite Halloween song when I was a kid:

"I can't wait till it's Halloween, oooh-oooh, oooh-oooh.
Ghosts and ghouls for a scary scene, ooooh-oooh."

The end. Okay that wasn't THAT big a treat, but keep reading.

2. Garfield's Halloween Special was perhaps my all-time favorite Halloween Special -- and that is REALLY saying something -- and his "What should I be?" song still occasionally gets stuck in my head, 19 years later. Long story short, Garfield spent an entire song debating what he should dress up as for Halloween -- scary vampire, bat, Halloween cat? It was a tough decision, but he and Odie eventually decided to be pirates -- awesome -- resulting in this gem:




3. The Great Pumpkin. I think when I was a kid I had every Charlie Brown special on tape, including the one where Charlie Brown decides to get "in shape" and Peppermint Patty, in a non-subtle nod to the career as a gym teacher she was doubtless to have, totally kicked his ass.

Or what about the one when Charlie Brown goes to the spelling bee and wears that odd paper bugle-boy cap for no apparent reason and Snoopy plays the mouth harp? That was weird. ANYWAY, the Great Pumpkin is the beloved Peanuts Halloween special. Here's a bit of it:



Awww, poor Charlie Brown. His Halloween sucked.

4. Okay, you can't get more 80s Halloween than this. Disney synched up old cartoons with "Thriller." I remember watching this as a kid before I knew who Michael Jackson even WAS -- you know, back in the days of innocence.



I hope all my fellow children of the 80s enjoyed this flashback. Man, things were just BETTER back then, am I right? Or am I right? Or am I right?

No comments:

Post a Comment