Saturday, February 09, 2008

The Socratic Method of Lunch

I'm in the bagel shop, trying to study. Below, word for word, is the conversation going on in the booth next to me. I want to commit hari kari with a cream cheese spreader to make it stop:

Old, Wise Philosopher: "They're called Isostics, and the "issics" term is derogatory. It's like wise-ass. But basically, Socrates was going around asking people, well, you can say something like this is just or that is just, but tell me what justice is in the general, you know, and he'd do that with various things, but in the end, he was like, I know that I don't know, and you guys suck. But I mean, you have to look at the political situation. This was towards the end of the 5th century, when the culmination would be the civil war with Sparta, and for someone to question what justice was, that was threatening. But Socrates didn't write anything. So."

Clueless Younger Guy: "Whoa. Wait. But. Okay. I'll be right back, I gotta get a bagel."

So now, blessedly, there is a break in the extremely loud philosophizing, and I can hear the AWESOME R.E.M song that has been playing in the bagel shop that these jackasses were drowning out before. WHO comes to Bruegger's to talk Socrates? That's all I want to know -- who are these people, where do they live, and would it be feasible to egg their house later?

Follow-up note: the young guy came back and now they're talking about their favorite harpsichordians. This promises to be a lively and edifying exchange!

No comments:

Post a Comment