Monday, January 12, 2009

Agua sucia

How is it possible that everywhere I walk in this city, no matter what street, neighborhood, whatever, there is always dirty water dripping on me from above? Seriously, you can't walk three feet in Buenos Aires without something wet and dirty dripping on your hair or down your back. What's up with that?

I guess it's not surprising, though, since this city is full of dirty water. FULL of it. Water runs down the streets in brown rivers. The city even has employees in jumpsuits who sweep the currents of water along down the street, herding trash and debris with their brooms as they go. There are also many large, murky puddles of what I refer to (fondly) as Tetanus Water lurking in the middle of sidewalks, even in fancy neighborhoods.

Perhaps the grossest experience I've had so far with Buenos Aires' dirty water happened the other day when I was running down calle República de la India, a street that borders the city zoo. I wasn't paying super close attention to my feet and suddenly, I splashed through a puddle of zoo water that had collected on the sidewalk. That's right, zoo water. South-American-zoo-tetanus water. All I have to say is, thank God I've had my rabies shots. And thank God you can't get rabies through puddles.... right? Just in case, I washed all the water, which was probably teeming with mange and giraffe feces, off my leg when I got home. Close call.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:33 PM

    there's also a lot of dog poop on the sidewalks. I walked home one night at around 4:00 AM and saw lots of people taking their little canine friends not just for an innocent walk. Another time, a woman stopped me to ask for directions (on Libertador); as she turned to continune walking, she sank her foot (she was wearing white long pants and what looked like very expensive sandals) in a huge pile of bosta de cachorro. Still, I absolutely love that city.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My theory is that it's air conditioner water. My jug always fills up and overflows before I remember to empty it, dripping over the side of the balcony and onto the sidewalk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My theory is that the dripping water is air conditioner water. My jug always fills up and overflows before I remember it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous11:01 AM

    Amen on the dripping water. Walking around in Buenos Aires is like standing under a (foul) waterfall.

    ReplyDelete