Saturday, April 11, 2009

A haiku for Changeling

I recently saw the movie Changeling, and here is a haiku I wrote about it:

L.A. Police Chief
Why is your accent Irish?
And also Southern?


Did anyone else notice this? AWFUL. The actor who played the police chief in Changeling, who will go unnamed (but whose name rhymes with Schmeffrey Schmonovan) apparently thought that he was adding depth to his character by affecting that Lucky-Charms-leprechaun-meets-Al-Capone accent. Adding to the overall effect was the fact that the accent sort of came and went, like the wind.



It's always hard for me to get past a bad accent in a film. This is why I can't enjoy Cold Mountain, which seems to be on television EVERY SINGLE TIME I am at the gym, so I always end up having to make the Sophie's Choice between watching it or watching that reality show about dog groomers.* Here's my main issue with Cold Mountain: of all the actors in the world to play the two main characters in a Civil War-era drama set in rural North Carolina, they had to cast an Australian and an Englishman? Really? No one from this continent was available that month?

Now that I think of it, there are many movies where an actor just can't quite pull off the required accent (see, e.g., any Matthew McConaughey movie that is not set in Texas), which makes me appreciate even more actors who can convincingly mimic regional accents. Ex: Minnie Driver in Circle of Friends, Renee Zellweger in Bridget Jones' Diary, Frances McDormand in Fargo.

Anyway. I will end this post with another haiku.

Jeffrey Donovan
Where did you learn that accent?
Not in Ireland.



*The dog groomers usually win.

2 comments:

  1. hahaha. I agree, Steph. It bothers me when accents are SO far off. Like, police officers ALWAYS have a Boston OR NYC accent. Always. Even if they are in L.A., Miami, or Chicago. They always seem to say, "Okay. Okay. Putcha hands on da caah, kid". Weird.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi :) dropping here from 20something. nice blog

    ReplyDelete