Saturday, June 06, 2009

All growns up

I graduated law school on Thursday, which I guess means I'm a real person now. Or maybe I am still just a kid, but now I have a JD. Either way, I suppose I won't really be a fully-formed, grown-up lawyer until I pass the bar in July (pray for me). Until then, I'm cool with just being a girl who went to law school.

Graduating from law school was pretty anticlimactic, after all of the speeches and toasts and mingling that went on on Wednesday, Class Day. By the time Thursday rolled around, I was ready to just grab my degree and peace out. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed all the commencement exercises and words of wisdom and self-congratulatory Harvard talk (complete with MANY references to a certain U.S. President who was HLS Class of '91), but after I finally walked across the stage and got my degree, I was pretty done. I was changed out of my robes and mortarboard and ready to leave campus before they even got through the rest of my graduating class. It's not that I don't care, but I wanted to get out of graduation while I still had a good taste in my mouth.

The thing is, I don't like graduation ceremonies. Never have, probably never will. If my future kids are reading this, sorry, kids. I (probably) love you and all, but I'm going to be bored at your graduation. Nothing personal. I hated my high school graduation (boring), loathed my Stanford graduation (hot, sweaty, sad) and was fully expecting to actively dislike my HLS graduation. But it turns out that the law school ceremonies were pretty fun, my parents got to meet and greet a bunch of my friends and their parents, we got free wine, and it wasn't oppressively hot. What more could you ask for in a graduation ceremony? It was good.

Unfortunately, since the bar exam is looming, I can't really kick back and relax after graduating. That won't happen until August 1, when I go to Thailand for three weeks (yay!). Until then, I'll just have to comfort myself by staring at my degree, in all its pretentious, Latin-lettered glory.

Anyway, cheers to being an almost-real person: we kinda did it!

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your anticlimax.

    Graduations are, by and large, pretty gay. Bob Schieffer put everyone to sleep most handily at my undergraduation. Masters? Yeah... I had them mail it to me.

    Such is life.

    Are you going to go into Maritime Law? I've always wanted to know someone who was a Maritime Lawyer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you!

    I am not going to be a pirate lawyer, sadly. I always dreamed of a life arguing cases on the high seas, but I am too much of a landlawyer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ummm, totally unrelated to this post, but I was wondering if you can do requests.

    I was hoping for another post on creu. Or at least funky. E possivel?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just found your blog and am quite enjoying it!
    We got free cake AND wine at my graduation. Which is all I really make a top night...

    ReplyDelete