Friday, February 03, 2006

Oh Beautiful....

Well, nothing too interesting going on at the moment. I am just trying to get through this day, since tonight I hop on a flight to Rio for the weekend. Should be wonderful -- time with my friends, a trip to a swanky champagne bar in Ipanema (Xampanheria), a visit to Maracanã, the world's largest stadium, some gente-bonita gazing at Nuth -- but before that happens, I need to struggle through a day of work. Thank goodness for coffee and my 10:30 AM mango break. Mmmm, mango.

Since I don't have a whole lot to write about, I thought I'd reflect on some things that I miss from the United States. Remarkably, I haven't been homesick really at all for the last 6 months of living here, but I have missed certain things quite acutely. Of course, I have missed my friends and family constantly, but I've enjoyed my existence in Brazil so much that I haven't felt truly homesick. Then again, I don't usually get homesick until something Bad happens (getting bit by a stray dog in Chile, getting $1000 stolen in Cuba, stuff like that). And now that I have my plane tickets home, I have been getting more and more excited about returning to America, my only home.

So, in no particular order, here are a few things I can't wait to indulge in when I return to the US:

  • Diet Coke -- here we have Coca Light -- totes not the same
  • The Daily Show
  • frozen yogurt with sprinkles
  • drug stores that sell magazines, cold drinks, and cheap makeup
  • Anthropologie
  • driving. In particular, driving along 280 between San Francisco and the South Bay
  • hot Red Rose tea with milk
  • my dad's cooking, especially when I get to help
  • running outdoors
  • non-smoking areas -- mainly the large non-smoking area that is the state of California
  • iTunes and listening to the radio
  • kitchen and bathroom sinks with hot water -- and water that doesn't smell like dirt
  • the pedestrian right-of-way
  • US Weekly, In Touch, and other horrendous American gossip mags
  • seedless grapes
  • power yoga
  • the YMCA and my old man friends there
  • my parents' dog, Dougal

How could you not miss this face?!

Obviously, there are some things that I will miss a lot from São Paulo, too, that I know I just won't find in the States, such as:

  • heavenly mangoes and pineapple
  • laundry service
  • cheap shoes and handbags
  • cheap, delicious, fresh all-you-can eat sushi
  • caipirinhas -- REAL caipirinhas
  • open-air markets in my neighborhood every Saturday
  • Japanese peanuts
  • cheap taxis with non-a*hole drivers
  • rodizio (all-you-can-eat) pizza, meat, sushi, fondue, etc., etc., etc.
  • manicures for $6
  • drug stores that dole out medicine without a prescription
  • clubs that stay open till 6, and afterhours clubs that serve breakfast and lunch
  • fried manioc
  • ChocoMac branco

Of course, there is more. I can't live in a place for months and months without becoming emotionally attached to it, and I will miss living in this incredible city, DUH. But, first order of business upon return to the US -- get a diet coke and a frozen yogurt and buy a copy of US Weekly.

No comments:

Post a Comment