Tuesday, October 06, 2009

Bangkok, finally.

I have been putting off writing about the end of our Thailand trip for several reasons, partly because the trip ended well over a month ago, and the longer I put off blogging about it, the more absurd it seems to write the post at all. But the real reason is that I don't have that much good stuff to say about Bangkok. You know that saying "If you can't say nothing nice, don't say nothing at all?"* Yeah, I kinda feel that way about Bangkok. But to be fair, let me try to create a list of nice things about Bangkok:

1. Lots of cute street cats that don't seem obviously rabid
2. Noodles
3. "Little Arabia" neighborhood with bomb kebobs ("kebombs?")
4. Air conditioning in our hostel -- actually, our hostel was the best part of Bangkok. It was called Lub'd and it was super, super cool. They had UNO in the lobby!
5. Noodles
6.

That's all I got.

My basic problem with Bangkok is that it's impossible to have good, clean fun there. Don't get me wrong, I didn't come to Thailand and expect to sit around a campfire singing Girl Scout songs and making s'mores (although some s'mores would have been nice), but I did expect to be able to go into a bar and have a drink without my boyfriend being solicited by prostitutes, or walk down the street without several people asking me if I want to see a woman cut a banana with her hoo-hah (answer: no). I mean, come ON! Shouldn't Bangkok make some effort to appeal to the approximately 3% of its visitors who aren't interested in having sex with underage prostitutes and/or seeing a woman smoke a cigarette using mainly her Kegel muscles? Bluh. I was grossed out by the whole scene.

On our last night in Thailand, which was supposed to be our big blow-out night, all we wanted to do was karaoke. That turned out to be an impossible dream. Like many things in Bangkok, turns out that karaoke involves prostitutes (and, as it happens, obscenely expensive beers). I think we could have lived with the prostitutes (even though they had terrible singing voices) but the $10 beers were completely unacceptable. So, we traipsed around the city for well over an hour trying to find a legit karaoke establishment (preferably one with The Allman Brothers' "Ramblin' Man"), but to no avail. After several disastrous and unmentionable** turns of event, we ended up back in our hostel, drinking Changs and playing UNO. Sigh.

So Bangkok was not my cup of tea. But at least now I've blogged about it. Yay. Now I can move on to other things in my life and you can look forward to more frequent blog posts (maybe). We'll see.

Okay, bye.


* Folksy double-negatives added by me.
** Won't-mentionable, really.

1 comment:

  1. nooooodles, yay! Just found your blog and wanted ot say hi!

    ReplyDelete