Friday, July 22, 2005

Getting Lost

I knew it would happen sooner or later... I guess I just didn´t expect to get lost on my 3rd day here. This morning I decided to try to save on cab fare by walking to work -- it seemed like a simple enough journey in the car ride home last night. I knew that I had to look for a street called (Someone) Cardoso and follow it all the way till it intersected with the street the office is on, Rua Helena. However, what I didn´t realize was that there are TWO ruas named Cardoso (Someone Cardoso and Someone Else Cardoso), and they run in opposite directions. I was wandering around looking for the right Cardoso, and I asked two women if they knew where it was, and they told me that they had never heard of it. Not a good sign. Then I asked a taxi driver who also didn´t know, but tried to explain to me how to get to Rua Helena another way. I knew that if I tried to walk, not only would I probably get lost again, I´d show up late for work, so I decided to throw in the towel and take the cab. Dang! Anyway, I got to work and everything was gravy, but that was frustrating.

In other news, I had my first São Paulo sushi experience last night and was not disappointed. After work around 7:30 or so, some people from the office went to a restaurant called Hazan sushi. The outside of the building was reddish-pink stone, and the inside was dramatically lit with purple stone walls. Classy. We ordered the all-you-can-eat option, which for us was a huge boat of sushi that took up the entire table. All the fish was really fresh and delicious, plus the dinner included ice cream, so that´s a bonus. I found it interesting (but not surprising) that when we left at 9:15 or so, the restaurant was just starting to fill up. How I love being an unfashionably early, gringo eater.

Another side note --- all the Brazilian couples in the restaurant were making out like there was no tomorrow. I hate gross PDAs, especially around food, ESPECIALLY around raw fish. Ugh, welcome back to Latin America, Stephanie.

No comments:

Post a Comment