Sunday, January 21, 2007

Fleeting freedom

It's my last day of freedom to do absolutely nothing before classes start again tomorrow. Since coming back from Puerto Rico (and being greeted by 18 degree weather upon getting off the plane), I have split my time between watching tv, sleeping, and eating. It has been a very demanding schedule to keep but I've managed. I think I've watched so much tv that I am almost sick of it -- but not quite. Actually, with this lack of schoolwork hanging over my head, I have had time to do things here in my room that I hadn't had a chance to since law school started: throw away the random scraps of paper that always seem to accumulate in my drawers, make a rather pointless (but fun!) picture slideshow to put on myspace (more fodder for the stalkers, I suppose), spend several hours doing crosswords and watching Curb Your Enthusiasm, and so on.

I also went to the movies TWICE in the last three days. TWICE! This is unheard of. First I saw Notes on a Scandal, with Cate Blanchett and Judi Dench. They are both such great actors, and the movie was good. Chilling and creepy but good. Another highlight was that we saw three Sacramento Kings players in the theater. It's weird to think about NBA players going to the movies, somehow. It must suck for whoever they end up sitting in front of. Last night I went and saw Pan's Labirynth (El Labirinto del Fauno, I think?), which was excellent. I knew as soon as I walked out of the theater, though, that I was going to have crazy-ass dreams thanks to that movie, and sure enough, I did. Damn magical realism.

Yesterday was also a banner day because I went shopping in Boston, another thing I never have time to do. I took the T down to Copley square and went to the mall (since it was so freezing outside I could feel my internal organs frosting over) and found lots of good sales -- so satisfying. Afterwards, feeling that I should do something "historic" since I was in Boston, but not actually wanting to learn anything, I compromised by going to Filene's Basement, a Boston landmark. I guess Filene's used to be better than it is now, but I can see how you could find bargains if you were really willing to look. Even if you don't find great designer labels, everything is marked way down there anyway. I ended up buying a yoga mat ($15, marked down from $25), and one of those pink polo sweaters with the little green polo logo on it. I have never had one of those sweaters before, and it was half off, so I bought it since I live on the east coast now and feel entitled. Since I was buying a polo sweater, I went for it and got the preppiest possible color combo -- pink 'n green. Go big or go home, I say.

It's almost 4 and my last day of freedom is going, going.... almost gone. I must do something lazier immediately. Going to go lie prone on my bed now. More later.

No comments:

Post a Comment