Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Voter appreciation

It's bright and early and I haven't written for a while, so I thought I'd check in with my loyal readers and let everyone know that I am alive and kicking.

Life is good. I have been working a lot lately, and next Saturday I restart my old gig at the Alumni Center at my alma mater. It's a cushy job: I get paid $11/hour to sit behind a big desk and answer innane questions from tourists/addled alumni wandering the campus. Oh, and I make coffee.

Anyway, today is Election Day. There are a bunch of Propositions to vote on and I guess the Democractic primary for governor. I am one of those people who bitches about how lazy and apathetic people are when it comes to voting. When I read that .238473% of California is expected to vote today, I angrily think stuff like, "This is ridiculous! People don't even appreciate our representative democracy because they are lazy pieces of trash, and would rather go to spinning class or eat jalapeno poppers at Ruby Tuesdays or watch "Best Week Ever" on VH1 then drag their apathetic bums to the polling place and participate in our system of government! This is why our country is going to hell in a handbasket! We should just return to monarchy, or oligarchy, and then we'll see how those lazy f***s like it!" and so on. But then, I don't go vote. So I don't say any of that stuff out loud.

I might go vote today, but only out of a crippling sense of guilt (some call this "civic duty") rather than passion about the issues, or even awareness of the issues. What are the issues, anyway? I know there's some proposition about elder abuse. I guess I'm against that. Something else about taxing people who make more than $400,000 a year to fund preschools or something. I'm actually more informed about this than I gave myself credit for.

This morning as I was drinking my 5:30 am cup of tea before going to work, I was perusing the ballot initiatives and candidates and I glanced at the sample ballot for the Independent party. I think technically I am a registered Independent but it sort of dismayed me to see that all the candidates from that party were listed as either computer programmer, real estate broker, or the cryptic "student." Maybe I'll vote with the Natural Law party, or the Peace and Freedom party, instead. Can't argue with Peace and Freedom!

For a depressing look at all of this, check out this article:
http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2006/06/06/MNG5MJ94QG1.DTL&type=politics

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:14 PM

    I'll vote in the American elections in place of all those apathetic Californians. I watch a lot of West Wing; I'm well informed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4:06 PM

    Cripling guilt can be quite useful. I'm glad on a personal level that you are anti-elder abuse

    ReplyDelete