Wednesday, March 15, 2006

LAST DAY OF TRABALHO

Yes, it's my last day of work, and I need to celebrate it by posting something here before 10 am. I can't believe I got here before 10 am, to be honest. I planned on waking up late ("late" meaning 7:30 am) and rolling up to work at around 9:50, maybe 10, all defiantly. But actually I woke up at 7:12 like a kid on Christmas morning and decided that since I was awake anyway, I might as well catch the last 18 minutes of the Wonder Years. Alicia Silverstone made a brief cameo (WAY before she was famous) so that was exciting. Anyway, I went to the gym, did my workout thing, tried to take a long time getting ready, failed, and got to work at 9:25. Dang.

So here I am. I wrote a goodbye email note to everyone in the office and invited them all to come visit me in Boston so we can "eat clam chowder or something." Re-reading the note after I hit 'send,' I am truly astounded by my own eloquence. So far, one person has returned the email, the library lady. She wished me the best of luck in law school and yadda yadda. That was nice. I still think everyone else is blissfully unaware of my impending departure. They'll see!

Since it's my last day after almost 8 months of grueling work at this firm, I decided to reflect on alllll of the memories. If I had the capacity to make a video montage, now would be the time, but I don't, so you'll have to use your imagination as I take you on a tour of some of the highs and lows of my working experience, in bullet format (I love me the bullet format):

The Highs:

  • eating my mango every morning at 10:30
  • drinking my coffee every morning the instant I walked in the door, sometimes even before I had changed my shoes to proper work footwear, sometimes even barefoot
  • monthly birthday roundups with cake and salgadinhos... mmmmmmm
  • other food-related memories, too numerous to list
  • the day I woke up at 5 am to get to a closing by 7 am, only to have it delayed to 10 am once I got there, BUT, once it was over, I got to go home at 2 pm -- bonus!
  • reading MSN gossip for hours at a time on "slow days"
  • discovering perezhilton.com
  • being allowed to listen to my ipod when I worked at Petrobras in SP
  • going to Rio (TWICE) to work at Petrobras, staying in swanky hotel on Avenida Atlantica in Copacabana

The Lows:

  • working at Petrobras
  • having to stay at the office till the birds were chirping on several occasions
  • getting so frustrated one night that I slammed a ballpoint pen against my desk until it cracked, then threw it across the room
  • sending a confidential document to the "other side" by accident
  • having to run a closing by myself, in Portuguese, that lasted the entire day
  • working at Petrobras
  • working on Saturdays
  • getting called back to the office at night after I had left
  • 6 + hour conference calls in Portuguese
  • 6 + hour conference calls in English
  • working at Petrobras

So, as you can see, the highs involved food/celebrity gossip, and the lows involved work/tears.

By the way, since I started this post, people in the office have organized a lunch outing for my last day! I am touched. We're going to Lugar 166, which is on the same street as our office. It's a nice, semi-outdoor buffet with artsy light fixtures, always full of businessmen. Yummy food, too. Awww, I guess people do realize that I am leaving after all.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:00 PM

    Question: will this blog now become Boston wax? Doesn't have the same ring, so I vote to leave it as is

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steph,

    Congrats on being done! Your experience sounds amazing and I'm so jealous of your time in Brazil... even the most tedious of work is still better when being done in South America :)

    Hope you enjoy the rest of your time there!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah I hadn't even thought of what I am going to call this thing once I get back to the States. Probably keep it as Brasilian Wax, because Boston Wax conjures up really unpleasant images. Good call.

    ReplyDelete