Monday, September 18, 2006

Next!

Okay, as you guys all know, I am at law school and am nutso busy. But there is always time for reality tv, especially reality MTV, which is unfailingly vapid/wonderfully fascinating. And, since I have always found time in the past to update you all about the goings-on in My Super Sweet Sixteen and Tiara Girls, I think I can squeeze in a post right now to alert you all to another fantastic MTV creation, Next.

Premise: five girls sit in a van and each one of them goes on a "date" with some dude, who usually challenges them to do stupid things involving water or go-carts, and then summarily dismisses them based on their looks. But here's the great part: each girl gets a dollar for each minute she lasts before the guy "nexts" her. Make sense? No? Doesn't matter. The beauty of the show is not about the actual logistics, it's more about exchanges like the one I just witnessed on the show. It went something like this:

Guy: so what do you like to do for fun?
Girl: adventurous things.
Guy: like what?
Girl: Like.. hang out with friends.
Guy: that sounds adventurous.
Girl: Yeah.
Guy: You're cute
Girl: thanks, so are you. (*giggles*)
Guy: So who did you vote for in the last election?
Girl: I voted for Bush.
Guy (clearly enraged): BUSH SUCKS! Next!
Girl: BUSH ROCKS! (*runs off set*)

I love this show.

I also love that each contestant gets a little description with one or two interesting anecdotes about them. One girl, who described herself as "Lindsay Lohan's stand-in" had the following description: Nickname: Stinky. Fun Fact: Once threw up into a paper coffee cup in the back of a car.

Love it.

Okay. Maybe it's time for me to do, like, Criminal Law reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment