Sunday, September 03, 2006

Law Skool, part 1

I got to Harvard on Tuesday night, and let me tell you, it has been an overwhelming whirlwind of activity since I got here. It's like your first week of college when you are thrown into one social situation after another and you have to try to meet as many people as you can, be on your best behavior, dazzle them with your wit and charm, all while trying to figure out who's cool, who's not, who's genuine, who's not, who's going to be your friend, your study partner, your ally, and so on. It is exhausting on so many levels.

It's also exciting, of course, but the most exciting part of the whole experience up to this point has actually been the promise of the academics, rather than the social life. Don't get me wrong, socializing has been surprisingly fun -- and I'll get to that in a sec -- but what really thrill me are the classes themselves, and we haven't even really started yet. I feel lucky to be here and to have access to such outstanding law professors and resources, and I'm also excited to start because I think my brain is sort of suited to this type of thinking, and it feels good to finally be able to use the ol' brain again. It has sort of been rotting in my head for the last year or so.

Anyway, aside from the scheduled orientation activities and meetings with my section -- the class of 500 is broken down into 7 academic sections -- I have squeezed in drinking and schmoozing Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday nights. Thursday was a party at the Hong Kong, a slightly shady Chinese restaurant/bar/creepy lounge in Cambridge. The highlight of that night was probably speaking Portuguese with the Brazilian bartender when I was waiting for my Amstel Light to appear. Friday night was a total blast. I got together with some of the girls I have made friends with to drink wine out of plastic cups in their dorm -- TOTAL freshman year flashbacks -- and then we took a cab into Boston to go to Gypsy Bar, this bar/lounge place that played great music. Despite the fact that drinks were crazily expensive, we all drank (more than) enough and danced our butts off.

Here is the best part, though. I have met really great girls here, who are like, NORMAL and fun and smart. I guess all of us sort of approached Harvard Law with a healthy dose of skepticism/terror about the social prospects here -- I mean, we've all seen Legally Blonde -- so it's a really pleasant surprise to meet some good females right off the bat. Today we got some lunch at the old ABP and coffee at Peets, then went to Staples, where I bought essentials, like multicolored, glittery pens and two different types of Post-It flags. I had to hold myself back from buying "fun" paperclips and squishy gel things to put on your pencils so that they're easier to grip. The only reason I held it together and put down the squishy things was because I am still trying to make a good impression on people.

I could go on and on about everything that has happened since I got here -- the people I've met, my impressions of Harvard and Cambridge, the constant temptation that I've been fighting to compare everything here (unfavorably, mostly) to Stanford, the cases I've read, etc., etc., etc., but I don't think I have the energy to be concise and interesting, so I am gonna cut it off now. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment