Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Didn't I see you in the dungeon last night?

After three months of working at the hostel, I finally went to a real hostel party last night. It was a combined going-away party for this guy Fabrice (French) and also a 21st birthday for Giovanni (Italian). I knew it was going to be a wild night when my extremely wasted managers cornered me and another receptionist and forced us to take tequila shots with them. The managers, for whatever reason, were the drunkest people at the party, which is, of course, awesome.

I was hanging around the bar downstairs, drinking white wine out of a plastic cup and eating cheese, when this man in full S&M leather regalia approached. I had seen him around the hostel in that get-up before but had always assumed he was on his way to a Hot Cops audition or something. I was wrong. I asked him, "So, what's the deal with the leather? And the whip?"

"Well," he said, matter-of-factly, "this is your typical gay-male-S&M outfit. I'm really into that scene, and San Francisco is a crazy city." He went on to explain that he was going to a bar that night called the Eagle, which has a REAL dungeon. He said he had seen quite a few hostel-goers in the dungeon a couple nights ago.

"There are a LOT of gay boys in this hostel, but I bet if I saw them the next day they'd pretend they were never even in the dungeon," he said. That is truly surprising news.

Leather Man went on to chat up Meghan and I, explaining the finer points of spanking and whipping, telling Meghan that she had "the most exotic-colored eyes," and telling me that I was "just precious."

"God, it's too bad you're not a guy," he said, wistfully.

"If I had a nickel for every time someone's said that to me..." I said.

In reality, I'd have one nickel.

So, the night kicked off with tequila and leather, then devolved into chocolate cake, wine, champagne, and me speaking mad Portuguese with a Brazilian dude in the lobby. I am normally totally socially paralyzed when it comes to speaking Portuguese with Brazilians (outside of Brazil, that is), but I guess a few cups of warm chardonnay helped me overcome my fears.

All in all, it was a good night and I'm glad I finally partook of the hostel party scene. It wasn't the same as my own traveling days, but it brought back some of the same feeling. E, finalmente falei portugues com um brasileiro!

No comments:

Post a Comment