Thursday, August 03, 2006

saudades de chiclete

When I was in Brazil, if you’ll recall, I was totally mystified by Carnaval music, in particular the appeal of the group Chiclete com Banana (“Gum With Banana”). By the end of my scarring Carnaval experience in Salvador, I had that song "Eu quero este amor" stuck in my head pretty much for 16 weeks afterwards, which I guess wasn’t completely unpleasant, but wasn’t as nice as having, say, “We Don’t Have to Take Our Clothes Off [To Have a Good Time]” on repeat in my brain.

Anyway, in my original Carnaval post (http://teffsinbrasil.blogspot.com/2006/03/vida-carnaval.html), I wrote about the main Chiclete com Banana song “Quero Chiclete,” and how I just didn’t get how people didn’t get sick of it. I mean, the body of the song goes like this: “Chiiiiiicleeeeeteeee, rouba, rouba!” over and over and over and over. And over. At Carnaval, I found the song supremely irritating because I felt like I was left out of some big Brazilian inside joke, and also because when it comes down to it, you can only hear any song 23248724749834925 times or so before it starts to grate on your nerves. Unless, of course, that song is “Say My Name,” by Destiny’s Child, but that is a special exception.

Well, a funny thing has happened since I have been back in the US. I actually downloaded “Quero Chiclete” from itunes and have been listening to it a lot. Like, a LOT. Either I am becoming Brazilian retroactively or else the nostalgia center in my brain is on overdrive, because I can’t get enough of this song. How did I never notice that cool electric guitar riff in the beginning? And how did I discount the lyrics so quickly?

Lambada nao e
Merengue nao e
Sabe qual e, qual e
Chiclete com banana!

Chiiiiiicleeeeeteeee! Rouba, rouba!

(Translation: It’s not lambada, it’s not merengue, you know what it is, Chiclete com Banana!)

I mean, I want to do karaoke to this song. God, that’s weird.

No comments:

Post a Comment