Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Hog heaven

Okay, I am officially in heaven. I forgot how COOL Buenos Aires is!

I am staying in this nutso hostel with 150 beds called Milhouse. It's right near Plaza de Mayo, and it's like this giant backpacker mecca. When I walked in, it reminded me of that Leonardo DiCaprio movie "The Beach," about an island paradise full of young travelers -- well, paradise until the community breaks down and people kill each other and there are shark attacks and stuff. Anyway. This is like that, except not an island, and no sharks, and not in Thailand.

Right off the bat, I met some English and Australian girls, and we ended up going out to dinner in Recoleta, at a restaurant that Julia and I ate at a few years ago with a weird Canadian girl from our hostel who took $20 from me. Memories! During dinner this big group of Argentine guys sat behind us and tried to talk to us the entire meal, and even went so far as to cut some of their entraña steak off and put it on our plates to try. Mmmm, entrails.

After dinner we went to Gran Bar Danzón, this cool wine bar that Foolia and I had also frequented on our last trip. The place has a very laid back, sexy atmosphere -- lots of candles, dim lights, bossa nova music, and a bar with pinpricks of light shining through it so it looks like the night sky. Very Sao Paulo, actually. We had a few drinks there (a Reisling from Mendoza for me), then went back to the hostel. The hostel was hosting its own Monday night party, with a dj and a lot of sunburnt, drunk, English speaking kids dancing around like eejits. It was fun!!

I crashed into bed at 4:45, got up at around 11, and went walking from Palermo to Recoleta with some of the British girls. We ate a huge lunch at a little pizza place facing the Plaza Palermo Viejo -- we ordered a tablita with gruyere, mozzarella, roquefort, olives, salami, ham, prosciutto, plus salads with avocado and tomatoes -- so yummy. We walked around for a few hours afterwards, which was fun except for the gross men yelling at us and making kissy noises, and ended up back near our hostel. So, who knows what will happen tonight. I have high hopes -- Buenos has yet to disappoint me.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:45 PM

    Kissy faces? How did you end up back in Cuba?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome. But could you please give us more details on exactly what was in every meal you had? Thanks. PS your last entry (sadly the first one I read (but now I'm a regular)) was hilarious. I liked this one too.

    ReplyDelete